When those weren't working (she wasn't getting enough oxygen) they decided to give her oxygen through a nasal cannula. This picture pretty much explains how she felt about that.
Here is the pulse oximeter they put on her toe. I liked how it made her toe glow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, the question you might ask is: How do you keep a 3 year-old happy after watching The Lion King and 101 Dalmatians (the non animated version) and part of The Little Mermaid II (I didn't know there was such a thing either!)?
The Answer: Hand them your camera!
So these next few shots are the emergency room through the eyes of a 3 year-old, enjoy.



If you couldn't tell her legs were a big thing to take a picture of.
So, around 11 am they admitted and transferred her to her room.
Here she is listening to Mr. Bear's (she was given the bare for doing so good with her breathing treatments and named him Mr. Bear) heart and lungs.
Listening to her tummy (notice how big her belly is? It's from all the air she was swallowing from breathing so fast!)
Later that day my parents came up and brought Carly.
Hailey was so happy to see her and vise versa!
Eating one of her hospital meals(and that's about all she ate, just what was on her spoon).
So we (Dan and I) decided that I would stay with Hailey this night and Dan would stay the next. This was Friday night. She didn't sleep to well (neither did I, I only got about 3 hours of sleep, and not all at once.). The nurse had to give her breathing treatments every two hours. Hailey freaked out so bad that I had the hardest time calming her down. She probably woke up the whole hospital floor she was so loud! Anyway, the nurse, Emilee, who was my fave nurse that we had, changed the type of breathing treatment we were giving to Hailey around 2 or 3am. Hailey absolutely didn't want us to give it to her. I had to pin her down while the nurse gave it to her two different times! She did better later that day though. So Dan dropped Carly off at his parents (thanks Russ and Jolene) and got to the hospital around 930am. When he got there Hailey said, "Why did you leave Carly at home? I miss her." it was so cute. Anyway, I left around 1130am and went home and showered and chilled for a bit. Then I went back to the hospital.
That afternoon Hailey was given this doll to color on and make her own. She named it Sheed (don't ask me where she came up with that one)!
Notice Sheed has a nasal cannula just like Hailey!
I left around 430pm to go to a family BBQ cause my parents had picked Carly up from Dan's parents and I wanted to see her cause I hadn't seen her since the night before. After I ate I took Carly back to the hospital with me. Hailey was on room air and doing her treatments every 4 hours (instead of every 2). I left a little after 8 pm and went home with Carly ( I would have stayed longer, but I had to get Carly to bed). So Sunday I got up to the hospital around 830am and Hailey was off of oxygen completely! At 1030am we were able to go to Sacrament meeting at the hospital! The best part.....it was only 30 minutes long! Then two Primary workers came into Hailey's room and gave her a lesson. It's so great that they have that. So she was able to come home today around 2pm. Yay! Home! We are all exhausted but so happy to be home. Hailey is doing a lot better. We will still have to give her treatments at home, but hopefully not forever. She was diagnosed with R.A.D. (Reactive Airway Disease). They say she is too young to call it asthma. I guess to diagnose it as asthma they have to do a bunch of tests and I guess she is too young to run the tests. So lets all hope and pray that she will out grow this.














10 comments:
poor little thing! i laughed so hard reading about "sheed"... what a nut. only she would come up with a crazy name like that. i am glad so is going better! tell her we love her and we miss her. ryan had to make hailey a card yesterday, but i don't know if i will be able to mail it because it has pompoms, sticks, and google eyes all over it. i'll see what i can do.
Poor girl! We were up there on Wednesday with Aidan- guess we missed ya!
Oh and Ethan has a doll just like "Sheed", but it didn't get such a cool name!
Oh, we feel so bad for her. I am glad that she is doing better now, and is home. It is so hard to see little kids sick or hurting. Dave and I were cracking up over "Sheed" also! She is such a nut!!! Ethan suggested that he make a card for her, so I said ok, let's do, and he got distracted or something and didn't get to it, but he had to whisper in my ear what he wanted to say on it, and it was " Hailey I love you and hope you feel better". Tell her that we are so glad she is doing better, and that we miss her and are anxious to see her over the 4th.
Oh I am sooooo sorry. Carter has been to PCMC multiple times for asthma so I feel for you. I hope Hailey does grow out of it. I am glad the staff was so good to her. We had asthma problems this past week so there must be something going around. I hope she feels better. It is so scary to watch your kids when they can't breathe and you can't do anything but help them take the meds and love them.
Wow what a weekend. Hopefully you'll all catch up on sleep soon. And that Hailey will be healthy and fine down the road! Good luck.
no leave it, it's cute...thanks!
That sounds a long & scary weekend. I hope she grows out of it too. Good Luck!
I love how the sacrament meeting was only 30 minutes!
Yuck- sorry to hear that she got so sick. Being is the hospital is no fun for anyone (kids AND their parents) but if you had to go somewhere, I'm glad it was PCMC. I love it and miss working there. I will be hoping with you that she outgrows this too!!
What an ordeal. I love that you gave Hailey the camara. Her pictures are adorable. She'll have a lot of cool stories to tell her friends when she's older. I hope she can do well on the home treatments and not need all that intervention from the hospital-that is not fun.
That is so interesting. I have another friend who just posted about this very thing happening to her daughter! And Sydney has "asthma", so we went through all of this exact same stuff. she was in the hospital several times in one year. But she's fine now. So I wonder if she actually had this RAD thing (although, it's not really very "rad" is it?). lol. Anyway, I feel your pain.
Post a Comment