So I have my ultrasound scheduled on the 28th of April, that's in about 3 weeks, and I'm really struggling with whether or not to find out the sex of this baby. I can't even believe that I'm considering NOT finding out, but I sorta kinda feel like I should. Dan hasn't ever wanted to know before we actually had the baby, but I NEEDED to know. I told him after our first that we wouldn't find out with our second, but then I realized that I wanted to find out, so we did with the second too, I may have even told Dan that since we are finding out with our second we won't with our third! Dan says not finding out until the birth is truly the only real surprise in life. He says he wants to experience the whole, "it's a........!" when the baby's born.
I read somewhere online that even though I've had two girls previously I still pretty much have a 50/50 chance of having a boy or a girl.
I would really like to have a boy, and that's what I've told people since before I was even pregnant, that, it's a boy. You see, Dan is an only boy in his family, he has two OLDER sisters, so two girls and then a boy! His Dad is an only boy in his family too, so if we don't have any boys the Houtz name will stop at Dan in his family. Of course I will be happy if it's a girl too.
I know the whole when you know before you have the baby you can be prepared more, and buy clothes and things before the baby is born, but I get a little excited and emotional when I think about finding out right after the baby is born. I just don't know what to do. Some days I want to find out, and others I can see myself waiting. I do love surprises, but I also love knowing so I can make the baby a gender specific blanket. AHHHH.
Do I have the ultrasound tech write it down on a piece of paper and have them put it in an envelope, so just in case I change my mind I still have the chance of finding out? Or do I just find out? Or do I just wait? I know what all my family thinks about this, but what about you? I really want your opinion, even if I've never met you before and this is the first time to my blog, please let me know what you've done, or what you wish you would have done in finding out the sex of your unborn baby.
Thanks!




14 comments:
I've always thought it would be cool to not find out before the baby was born. I agree with Dan that it is life only real "surprise."
And yet, I've always said that it is just as much a surprise finding out half was through on the ultrasound. It just breaks up the surprise a little....surprise, it's a boy/girl and then when the baby is born you get the surprise of seeing what the baby looks like.
For me, the choice is obvious this time around since I won't have any time to go shopping afterward the babies are born. I wish you and Dan the best of luck in making your choice!
I'm a planner! I can't not find out. I think it's still exciting finding out in the ultrasound. I have to get the ultrasound at 16 wks cause I can't wait until 20. I like taking time to decide on a name & addressing the baby. Wow, there's alot of clothes to buy if it's a boy.
I don't know if I'd do the envalope thing because you can give in way to easy. On the other hand, you'd have to get another ultrasound (possibly pay for one) if you decide you can't wait. Good point on - do you want to go shopping after you have baby?
Power to you if you decide to wait.
I'm getting induced the day of your ultrasound. :)
It would be fun to not find out, and that's what I wanted with Aidan. But 9 months is such a long time! So of course we caved (plus Nate didn't want to wait).
Props to you if you don't find out. I am to impatient. I guess it is only 4 more momths and you already have alot going on with the other two girls.
my friend went through this with her hubby. I think their deal was that when they had one of each, then they could "not" find out. so the third was a surprise. I think it was fun for her. you just have to wait to decorate the room and stuff. I couldn't stand to not wait, but i'm just super impatient. I think if you do wait it will be even more exciting. so I'm not much help! good luck in your decision!
um, i think I meant
"I couldn't stand to wait..."
lol.
DON'T WAIT!!!!!! but you knew that already. had fun with you and the girls. love you guys!
We found out with our first two - but once we had one of each we let our third one be a surprise. Even though I KNEW from the beginning she was a girl.
I thought it was fun not to find out :)
I agree, DON'T WAIT!!!!! There is no question in my mind that I would find out what it is on your ultrasound whether or not my husband wanted to or not! I am way to impatient for that! But good luck with that decision!!
Lisa,
We did not find out with Hyrum. I just bought a few white, yellow, and red things. Like my grandma says, "there are very few true suprises in life." this is one of them, I cannot tell you how fun it was to see if it was a boy or girl (even after labor) I always say "to each his own".. a lot of people thought we were CRAZY for not finding out. But, I have not regretted it and will do the same with our future kids!
hope you are feeling well.
Sunny
Well, now that you put it that way, it would be fun to not know until the baby is born. I think since you had that agreement with Dan before, you should keep it and let him have his way this time. I know it will be fun. And don't have the tech write it down because you know in a weak moment you will succomb. You have to make your decision before April 28th. Good luck!
Ah...that would be soooo hard for me to wait. But I do think it would be neat to wait.
However, I thought I was going to have a boy, and it was a big shock finding out it was a girl. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we had a girl, but I think it would have been harder if I'd thought that for a whole 9 months. My vote is that you should find out.
I do agree with julie that if you wait to find out, I wouldn't have the tech write it on a piece of paper , because in a weak moment I know that I would look:) That is a tough decision. Good LUCK
p.s. DO NOT WAIT!!!!!! :)
I am the one who always considers waiting and Rami wants to know. My curiosity kicks in and I decide to find out.
I think that it would be an awesome surprise, make a wishlist of a few boy things and have someone on call to pick them up for you. I had a friend ready to pick up some boy things with Eva because I was worried that the ultrasound tech got it wrong. With Jacob, I pulled out some of Eva's baby things just in case they were wrong that time.
Post a Comment